Selections for WSDC Team India 2019
By end October/early November, using the results from selection workshops conducted across North, South, East, West and Central Zones, ISDS will announce and invite the top students from these regions to a national selection camp to be held in Chennai in late December ’18/January ’19.
Registration Details of Zonal Selection Workshops are below.
Debating for WSDC Team India 2019
What is WSDC?
The World Schools Debating Championships (WSDC) is the World Cup of competitive school debating, where high schoolers have the unique opportunity to represent their countries and compete against other national teams to be crowned the World Champions! ISDS is responsible for selecting the Indian team to compete at WSDC. In 2019, WSDC will be held at Sri Lanka, Colombo:
Why should you apply?
• Get the chance to represent your country at the most prestigious international debating tournament!
• Learn the skills of debate from some of the best coaches in India and around the world
• Get the opportunity to meet and interact with people from different countries around the world!
What are the eligibility criteria to try-out to represent Team India at WSDC?
• Students must be studying in a high school in India for the academic year 2018-2019
• Students must be between 13 and 18 years of age.
• 2 of the 3 students in a school team should be in Class 8, 9 or 10
• 12th grade students are only eligible if they have made Team India WSDC or one of ISDS’ Development Squads to other international tournaments before.
How can you apply to debate for Team India?
Interested and eligible students can apply to debate for Team India through ONE of the following 3 ways:
1. COMPETE IN THE ZONAL SELECTIONS
In 2018, ISDS has designed a holistic approach that evaluates students through in-depth interaction over a 4 day selection workshop involving a combination of debates, quizzes, teaching sessions and other activities.
These selection workshops will be held in 5 zonal centres in North, South, East, West and Central India. Each zonal workshop is ONLY open to schools from particular states and union territories as follows:
Tamil Nadu, Andhra Pradesh, Telangana, Karnataka, Kerala, Puducherry, Andaman & Nicobar Islands.
Delhi, Uttar Pradesh, Uttarakhand, Chandigarh, Jammu & Kashmir, Himachal Pradesh.
Maharashtra, Madhya Pradesh, Odisha, Bihar, Jharkhand, Chhattisgarh, Goa
West Bengal, Assam, Meghalaya, Manipur, Sikkim, Nagaland, Arunachal Pradesh, Mizoram, Tripura
Gujarat, Rajasthan, Punjab, Haryana, Daman & Diu, Dadra & Nagar Haveli, Lakshadweep
The Zonal Centres for these zones are as follows:
South Zone: Chennai
North Zone: Delhi
Central Zone: Mumbai
East Zone: Kolkata
West Zone: Jaipur
Each student will be charged a nominal registration fee to prevent absenteeism and ensure commitment of students. The registration fees are Rs. 1000 for students from schools in the zonal centre and Rs. 500 for students who will be coming to the zonal centre from other cities in the zone. Students coming from other cities are responsible for their own accommodation and travel.
Dates and Preliminary Details of Zonal Workshops
The central zone workshop was held on July 12th, 13th, 14th and 15th at IIT Bombay in Mumbai
The South Zone workshop will be held on August 2nd, 3rd, 4th and 5th in Chennai.
NOTE TO STUDENTS IN CHENNAI:
• Students in Chennai have to go through a screening process in order to attend the South Zone workshop.
• Screening will be done in a league format – 2 sets of 3 debates (in the WSDC format) each will be held on June 30th and July 7th (both Saturdays). Based on the speaker tabs from this league, candidates will be shortlisted to attend the South Zone Selection Workshop on August 2, 3, 4 and 5 at Chennai.
• An introductory workshop for students who are newcomers to debating (newcomers are defined as people who have never attended an ISDS workshop before) will be conducted on June 16th and 17th and all registered newcomers will be required to attend it.
NOTE TO STUDENTS IN BENGALURU:
• Students in Bengaluru who want to attend the South Zone workshop have to attend the RV Inter-School Debating Championship to be held on June 23rd and 24th at RV College Of Engineering. The speaker tab from this tournament will be used to screen students.
• Registrations for the tournament can be done here. Registrations close on 17th June.
• More information about the tournament and details on how to make payment will be posted at https://www.facebook.com/rvcedebsoc/.
• The South Zone selection workshop registration fee will be waived for students selected through this tournament. Registration fees for the RV tournament will still apply.
• The top speakers from the tournament will be contacted directly by ISDS- interested Bangalore students should hence NOT register through the South Zone Registration form and should instead only register on the RV tournament registration form linked above.
The East Zone workshop will be held on July 26th, 27th, 28th and 29th in Bhavan’s Gangabux Kanoria Vidyamandir, Kolkata.
The North Zone workshop will be held on August 9th, 10th, 11th and 12th in Pathways School, Gurgaon.
The Jaipur World Schools Debating Tournament will be held on 6th and 7th October (Saturday and Sunday) at S.V. Public School, Mira Bhavan, Adarsh Nagar, Mira Bhavan, Adarsh Nagar, Jaipur-302004, Rajasthan.
AHMEDABAD WORLD SCHOOLS DEBATING TOURNAMENT
Registrations have closed.
• The tournament will be held on 18th and 19th August (Saturday and Sunday) in Ahmedabad at Delhi Public School – Bopal
• Only schools in Gujarat are eligible for this tournament
• This tournament is held by the ARC (A Responsible Citizen) foundation in collaboration with the Indian Schools Debating Society
• The top speakers from the tournament will be selected to participate in the West Zone Selections (to be held at a later date in Ahmedabad) for an opportunity to be on the Indian School Debating Team!
By end October/early November, using the results from these workshops conducted at these regions, ISDS will announce and invite the top students from these regions to a national selection camp to be held in Chennai in late December ’18/January ’19.
2. APPLY ONLINE
If there isn’t a regional workshop near you (i.e. if you have not already participated/ will not participate in regional workshops), you can apply online. The online application process consists of a form for your debating achievements, a quiz, and a video of a speech. Please see the link for further details.
Based on this, a number of students will be shortlisted and passed through a screening process. Based on the results of the screening process, top students will be invited to participate in the national selection camp to be held in Chennai in late December ’18/January ’19.
You can apply online if you:
• Are a student at an Indian school
• Are between the ages of 14 and 18 (both included)
• Are in grades 8-11 (Class 12 students are only eligible if they have previously been on the Indian development squad or WSDC team).
• Have not already participated / will not participate in an ISDS regional selection tournament (Please also note that if you are from a school that has participated at a regional round you will not be considered)
• Have won a speaker award or a team award at at least a regional-level competition
Online applications close on 17 OCTOBER 2018.
3. COME THROUGH ONE OF OUR PARTNER INSTITUTIONS
More details on this to follow.
What do we need from you?
a. A significant time commitment to train as part of the national team between January & August 2019.
b. The willingness to travel to Chennai for face-to-face training in June and July 2019.
c. Lots and lots of enthusiasm!